Do you know commas? Try this quiz. Each sentence below needs at least one comma. The answers are in the first comment below. If you’re not sure why a particular answer is correct, ask.
1. Based on regulations we need to log our project hours provide regular updates and publish our findings.
2. I received your e-mail but it had no attachment.
3. After 8 inches of snow fell the office closed but opened again by mid-afternoon.
4. The new fuels which provide lower grade fuel at a higher price are incompatible with many engines.
5. If you write well you will communicate clearly and demonstrate your credibility to the readers.
6. All visitors must have a badge or they will not be permitted entry.
7. The visitors’ badges obtainable in the badge office will allow entry.
8. On Thursday we attended a technical writing course.
Need help with commas? Get Zen Comma, an instructive reference guide on the 17 major uses and misuses of commas, available in PDF and Kindle formats. Read more about Zen Comma. (PDF version: 25% discount through 12/31/11)