So, you think you know commas? Take a look at these 5 items from the Zen Comma comma quiz. See if you can figure out where to add or remove the commas. Each item needs at least one comma added or removed.
- Bumbo graduated on October 31, 2007 from the Zen Comma School, with the ceremony held in the Temple of Meaning.
- Yes I can meet you tomorrow at 2:00 after I meet with the clients.
- Either the air pollution is increasing in urban areas, or municipal water purification systems are becoming aged and ineffective.
- 300 Days of Better Writing another book by David Bowman has useful advice about writing clearly.
- The new bio-fuels which provide lower grade fuel at a higher price are incompatible with many older engine models.
What to do: Copy the items, put them in a comment, and add or remove the commas as necessary. Don’t change any words. Make sure to use a valid e-mail address.
What you’ll get: The first two people who get all five correct will receive a free copy of Zen Comma. (Thus, if you already have Zen Comma, please don’t contribute.) I’ll check answers around lunchtime on 3/28/12. I’ll point out the correct responses and determine who gets the free copies of Zen Comma.
Remember: This is just for fun. If you win a book, great! If you don’t, I hope you at least found it interesting and instructional.
More info: The entire quiz, found at the back of Zen Comma, has 34 items. The answers are immediately after the quiz, along with a cross-reference to the Zen Comma rule in case you get it wrong and need to study the comma use.